The 6th Annual Dig 4 Jimmy: Surf N’ Turf Surfing and Volleyball Invitational
Presented by the Dig for Kids Education Foundation & Jimmy Miller Memorial Foundation
Sunday May 31st 2015
South Side of Manhattan Beach Pier
8am (7:30am Check In) until we finish (Around 3pm) with awards to follow on the beach.
Sign up: https://racemill.com/surfnturf
The first ever surfing and volleyball Surf N Turf invitational is back again for 2015. Surfing and volleyball are two of most famous South Bay activities and are integral to two great non-profit foundations in our community and the high school friends who inspired the creation of each foundation.
Jimmy Miller and Eric Fonoimoana grew up together surfing and playing volleyball with their friends and family at the beach. They both played on one of the greatest Mira Costa High School volleyball teams in its long history and put their dedication and efforts into the sports they love. Jim’s love of surfing led to world travels and the creation of a surf school in Manhattan Beach. Eric’s love and dedication to beach volleyball led to successful career as an AVP pro and an Olympic Gold Medal. However, up until The Surf N Turf there had never been an event that encompasses the friendly and family style spirit of these two great beach sports.
We are taking the spirit of the Jimmy Surf Fiesta and mixing it with the great team volleyball tournaments that we all enjoy through the summer. The goal is to have the surfers playing volleyball and the volleyball players surfing together and to invite all levels of surfing and volleyball skills to come down to the beach to enjoy a day of friends, hula dancing, family and good times. Limited spaced available to please register as soon as possible. Online registration will guarantee your spot.
Rules for Dig 4 Jimmy: Surf n’ Turf Surfing and Volleyball Invitational
1) Teams of 4-6 (depending on number of entries) will be created by the event committee based on self evaluated surfing and volleyball skills. We will try to connect teams who want to play with each other but final say goes to the making the event fun and fair for everyone.
2) Each team will surf in one tag team style surfing heat and play in a round robin pool play style volleyball tournament. So yes- everyone will surf and play volleyball and no you are not able to do just one event or trade out a surfer for a volleyball player.
3) Teams will be ranked based on place in each event and the team with best combined result will be the Surf N’Turf Champion. There will also be prizes for best surfing team, best volleyball team and other fun and creative categories.
4) Golden Rule: This is a one of kind format with a goal of bringing friends, families and foundations together. Therefore- whining, complaining and any super aggressive win at all costs attitudes are not welcome.
Surf Portion Format 8:00am to 11:30am
1) There will be 5 teams in each 30 minute heat with one surfer from each team in the water at all times.
2) Each member of a team will be required to catch at least one scoring wave in the 30 minute heat. The highest score for each surfer will be added to the team total.
3) After catching a wave that the surfer wants to keep they will run up the beach and tag the next person on the team
4) All waves will be scored by panel of 3 judges on a 10 point scale
5) Team scores will be tallied and the team with the highest heat score across all of heats will be ranked 1st in the surf event
Volleyball Portion Format 10:30am to 3:30pm
1) Teams will be placed in a pool and will play each team in its pool once. The pool will be the same teams that were in your surfing heat.
2) Games will be played to 11 with side out scoring.
3) Top team in each pool with advance to single elimination team draw.
4) Finals will be one game to 15 points
5) Team results in the pool and single elimination playoffs will be ranked for the volleyball team total.
Awards will follow the event completion on the beach.
Read more at https://racemill.com/surfnturf#Cr4vHGUQ6WQi2IaS.99